Lead poisoning

Lead – a chemical element which can be found everywhere. One millionth of a gram can be identified and in healthy humans. This toxic heavy metal accumulates in bone tissue and can cause poisoning: chronic poisoning (for a certain period of time in the human body is focusing too much lead), and acute poisoning (a sudden ingestion of large amounts of lead in food or drink). It is impossible to determine exactly what levels of lead can cause poisoning, as reaction of the body is different. The high content of lead affects the blood vessels, digestive tract, joints, blood, liver, kidneys. Lead poisoning affects children’s central nervous system.


  • A pale, grayish skin.
  • Rim in the gums.
  • Emaciation.
  • Damaged organs.
  • Struck by the CNS.
  • Severe nausea.
  • Intense vomiting.


People know about lead poisoning since ancient times. Lead is widely used, and many of its industrial products and in the everyday things that we use every day. In the human body often lead comes with the dust, steam and smoke inhalation. Less commonly, it enters the stomach: the lead dust adhering to the palms, straight from them or from food enters the mouth.


In the treatment of lead poisoning doctor uses antidote (antidote) – a D-penitsilamin, dimercaprol, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) and tincture of iodine. In chronic poisoning the body hit hard even in the absence of symptoms of poisoning. In this case it is necessary to treat damaged organs, depending on symptoms.

If a person has to work in unhealthy industry, such as substances, which include lead, he should know the safety rules and adhere to them.

The first symptoms of chronic lead poisoning – general weakness and fatigue, lack of appetite, weight loss. Of course, these symptoms are nonspecific and can occur in many diseases. However, people who work with lead should pay attention to it. Symptoms of acute poisoning – nausea and vomiting, intense.

First of all, the doctor will do a blood test by which to determine the concentration of lead in serum. Can be installed metal concentration in urine and hair. When the diagnosis is acute poisoning – doctor would prescribe the appropriate antidotes. If you suspect that chronic lead poisoning, he shall notify the community health center.

Course of the disease

Symptoms slowly progressive poisoning: fatigue, anorexia, weight in the stomach, pains in the head and legs, deteriorating memories. In chronic poisoning, the patient loses weight; his skin turns pale and becomes gray, and a distinctive leaden hue. Characteristic symptom is the appearance of a lead rim at the edge of the gums. Later, due to changes in blood vessel walls appears nephrosis of kidney, joints start to hurt, there is necrosis of the nose, fingers, legs. In the brain there are severe irreversible changes occur and angina pains as a result of lesions in the bones hardened, break paralysis.

Is lead poisoning dangerous?

As a result of chronic lead poisoning the body is subjected to serious risk.

Effective antidote to lead is milk. Printing employees received milk as a preventive measure.

Earlier in the old houses lead, located in the pipes, reacts with carbon dioxide, which is part of tap water, dissolved and poisoned water. Especially high concentrations of lead in water was in the morning, due to the fact that the taps for a long time there have been closed. Water had to be lower.